Almost a month ago, I planted an expendable colues in the ground next to the north side of the house just to see what would happen. I kept a cage over it for a while, and even though it had some bug damage it was growing and producing flowers. The cage did not have a top but the deer did not dip in to take a bite. Here it is yesterday morning just after I took the cage off.
Less than four hours later, this is what it looked like.
I saw a guilty-looking fawn fleeing the scene. I have to conclude that it would be foolish to plant coleus in the ground next year unless they are well caged. I have my ColorBlaze 'Wicked Witch' on the west side of the house in pots and am careful to have them caged or surrounded by lots of other plants.
The deer herds at the house and a mile away at the greenhouse have different tastes. I knew the greenhouse deer would eat coleus, but I was hoping the house deer would not pick up the habit. Oh well.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.