Friday, July 10, 2026

Coleus flower

I managed to raise 10 coleus from a Burpee variety seed packet this year, and two of them got chewed up by deer when I left them outside three weeks ago. Those two have recovered well, and the green one that looks like lettuce now has a flower stalk.

Flowers are a no-no in the coleus world because they detract from the real show, the leaves. Although this one has unusual leaves, it has no color other than green. I decided to let the flower stalk go and see what happened. Every once in a while I take the greenhouse potted coleus outside and let them sit in water for half an hour. When they go back inside, I put them on top of the beds without the saucers.

A solid green coleus might be interesting if paired with ones of different colors, but for the most part this is what you want when you plant an unknown variety from a seed collection. I moved this one into our bedroom today.

I'm presuming that the 10 Burpee coleus are not sun tolerant and I keep them on the back porch where they miss the morning and mid-day sun. The four ColorBlaze 'Wicked Witch' (original plant and three clones) are fine in the sun. I have some things I want to do next year and I'll probably have to get ColorBlaze varieties to do them. The three 'Drop' varieties (Strawberry, Cherry and Chocolate) have a trailing habit and could be used in hanging baskets or large planters. I also want to get the 'Golden Dreams' variety. I'll have a hard time finding a place for the colorful generics, and the generic greens probably will not make the cut for overwintering in the garage. So flower away, it may be your closing act.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.