Monday, July 13, 2026

Priscilla

The weak link in the Supertunia baskets so far is Priscilla. It is in the same basket as Hoopla Vivid Orchid and just isn't keeping up. But it is one of the few successful cloning efforts so far and it is doing well in this 6-inch pot.

Now the question is, what to do with it. The Bachelor Button Cornflowers are coming up, and I'm thinking about doing a combo pot with it. Maybe even add in a 'Wicked Witch' Coleus. It might be awful, or it might work. Or maybe have the flowers in one pot and the Coleus in another.

Since it was impossible to dig a hole next to the shed due to the dense gravel pad, I'll probably put the pot in front of there. I have more 3-foot fencing arriving in a day or two, and that's the right height for flower pots.

Gratuitous view of another successful Supertunia clone, Bubblegum.

Let's rank the nine Supertunias I got this year. The criteria is which have been successful but which I also want to successfully clone and carry over to next year.

  • Vista Jazzberry - Vibrant magenta purple. I paired it with Bubblegum, and also stuck a clone in with Honey. I want six of these.
  • Royal Velvet - Deep purple, unlike anything else I have. Swapped clones with Blue Vein, and will do it again next year if I can.
  • Vista Bubblegum - Pink. Very vigorous, almost too vigorous. The Jazzberry is showing through in the shared basket, but I think something other than another Vista might get overwhelmed.
  • Blue Vein - White with blue vein. This is the surprise so far. Very vigorous, right up there with Bubblegum. Great pairing with Royal Velvet.
  • Hoopla Vivid Orchid - Purple with white edge. Successful in its basket with Priscilla.
  • Really Red - A last minute addition since I thought I needed a red. I paired it with Latte and could use it in other combos.
  • Latte - Ivory white with dark veins that almost appear brown. The basket with Red is doing OK. Not spectacular, just OK.
  • Honey - The most interesting thing about this is the blossoms shifting from yellow to salmon and some other colors. But the flowers often look a bit wilted. It is in a basket with a much smaller Jazzberry clone and I recently gave it a few weeks in the greenhouse to get right. It looks as good now as it has, and all the blossoms right now are yellow. Hard to figure out, maybe it is making a comeback.
  • Priscilla - Purple and white double. As mentioned, not successful so far in the basket, doing better by itself in a small pot. The big double blossoms do not self-clean very effectively and it is often necessary to deadhead the dried-out remnants. You can see a dried-out flower in the image above that I neglected to remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.