Friday, August 28, 2026

Tunia Rankings

I did Supertunia rankings July 13 and six weeks later it is time to revisit. Here are the latest rankings:

  1. Vista Jazzberry - Vibrant magenta purple. Still #1. I will build several baskets around this next year.
  2. Vista Bubblegum - Pink. Moving up from #3. It is so vigorous.
  3. Hoopla Vivid Orchid - Purple with white edge. The biggest mover, up from #5. Took over its basket when Priscilla faltered.
  4. Royal Velvet - Deep purple, unlike anything else I have. Down from #2 just because the success of Bubblegum and Orchid are hard to ignore.
  5. Blue Vein - White with blue vein. Down one spot from #4. Very vigorous, great pairing with Royal Velvet, but can get ragged.
  6. Really Red - Holding steady at #6. Good combo with Latte.
  7. Latte - Ivory white with dark veins that almost appear brown. Still at #7. Solid, not spectacular.
  8. Honey - Blossoms shift from yellow to salmon and some other colors, but I continue rating it at #8 because the flowers often look a bit wilted.
  9. Priscilla - Purple and white double. Still at the bottom. Got overwhelmed by Orchid in their basket, double flowers do not self-clean very well. I have a separate little pot that looks OK, but is nowhere as vigorous as other varieties and I have to deadhead it.

The only one I would not use in a basket again is Priscilla. Honey could be rated near the top when it is at its best, but it seems to need ideal conditions.

I neglected to rate the 2025 purple petunias that I overwintered. They are in large pots, two by themselves and one with geraniums. They make a tremendous mound and looked great until the deer figured out how to get through the cages. If I slid them into the above rankings, I would put them on par with Blue Vein, but I don't know if they would work in a basket. Last year they were in baskets and didn't do much until I got the greenhouse and put them in pots. Here is one of the pots on Aug. 2 before the deer got to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.