A deer-proof plant is one that is kept in a greenhouse behind a latched door. (I know of someone in town who was victimized by an unlatched door.) Anything outside is only "deer resistant." Salvias are supposed to be deer resistant, but one of the local vermin apparently bit the top off one of the salvias I planted just yesterday. It was the dramatically-purple 'Deep Purple,' now almost completely lacking flowers. The plant had two stalks, and already lost one yesterday when it fell off the edge of the planter. So, we will see how some early pruning will affect it.
I planted some marigolds in the outside window boxes today. These also are supposed to be deer resistant, but last year that meant that they spit them out after they chomped on them. In an inspired move (I believe), I surrounded the new marigolds with cuttings from mint, rosemary and chives, hoping that the smell will deter them. I just have to be careful that the mint doesn't root. I still expect to see them bitten off tomorrow.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.