Sunday, May 17, 2026

It's snowing

We have at least two more days of freezing weather this season and there wasn't much to do in the greenhouse, so the day's main chore was potting up the last succulents order. The star of the order, Echeveria 'Doris Taylor,' potted up nicely and I'll post a better image than this snapshot in a few days.

I brought Cotyledon 'Bear Paw' back from the greenhouse to give it a bigger pot, and put 'Mexican Snowball' into the freed-up 4". Although 'Mexican Snowball' does not develop into a big rosette, it does cluster so I'm not sure if it was the right decision to go with the smaller pot. But all the YouTube advice is to use pots that are just barely big enough, so we will see. I swapped the Sempervivum 'Gold Nugget' into the upscale (for Walmart) 6" terra cotta for the much-smaller 'Gold Nugget' I already had. That and 'Gold Rush' went into 6" terra cottas, which are the same diameter but hold a lot less soil that the Walmart pot. I drilled holes in two coffee cups, one an antique store bargain featuring Menards, and one a full-price souvenir from Badlands National Park. The Graptoveria 'Titubans Variegata' was leggy and needed straightening, so I removed the bottom seven leaves and put them in a propagating bowl. This plant and the Echeveria 'Muesli' went into the two cups.

'Red Beauty' was sort of a throw-in to get free shipping. It's a nice-looking small plant and is in good condition even though it ended up sideways in the pot during shipping. I decided to follow through on my oft-mentioned plan to move Crassula perforata variegata Variegated 'String of Buttons' from the Montage Bowl to its own pot. It only ended up in there because I was short on pots when it came. 'Red Beauty' took its place in the Montage Bowl. Here are the Graptoveria in the Menard's cup with a 3D-printed saucer, the 'String of Buttons' in a 3D pot and saucer, and the 'Muesli' in the Badlands cup with a 3D saucer. A limitation of 3D printing is you can only use the colors of filament that you have, and I matched the colors of the cups as best I could. But how else could I get saucers for these cups that are even close to the right color and size? The Menard's saucer even has a little cutout for the handle, which the other cup did not need.

The only one I did not pot up was Crassula capitella ssp. thyrsiflora 'Pagoda Village.' It seems comfortable enough for now in its 4" plastic pot and I'll let develop for a few weeks. But it already has its own 3D-printed saucer, an extra one that I printed for something else and decided not to use.

A bit of YouTube advice I often ignore is to refrain from watering succulents for at least a week after potting. If they are wobbling around in the soil, I'm going to water them in so they are anchored. And if the potting medium is bone dry, I'm going to water before the plants start to shrivel. I already squirted 'Red Beauty' in the bowl today, and I plan on watering all the other newcomers tomorrow. I do let succulents dry out between waterings, but at some point all green plants need water. Even cacti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.