Saturday, May 16, 2026

Last Unboxing Ever

The Mountain Crest Gardens shipment came today, and I can't envision doing any more large succulent orders unless a meteor hits the greenhouse. No more room. The box looked to be in good shape, and I'm mostly satisfied with the condition of the plants except the Crassula capitella ssp. thyrsiflora 'Pagoda Village,' which needs more recovery time than the others. It's at upper left in this image, followed by the two Sempervivum Chick Charms 'Gold Rush' and 'Gold Nugget, and Echeveria 'Doris Taylor' aka 'Wooly Rose.' Next row is Echeveria elegans 'Mexican Snowball,' some runners and leaves that fell off the Sempervivums, the Echeveria 'Red Beauty' sideways in its pot, and the hunched-over Graptoveria 'Titubans Variegata.' Up front is Echeveria 'Muesli' and the dirt that came out of the box.

'Doris Taylor,' which was the main reason for this order, looks very good after I blew most of the dirt off (image below). The smaller Echeverias 'Muesli,' 'Mexican Snowball' and 'Red Beauty' (after it got set upright) also look good. The two Chick Charms Sempervivums are straining to get out of the containers they came in. The 'Gold Nugget' is a lot larger than the one I have and I may do some pot switching. 'Titubans Variegata' is crooked in its container, and I will remove at least six of the lower leaves for propagation before I pot it. There's no point in burying attached leaves.

I didn't do much at the greenhouse today because not much needed watering. I pulled my better trail cameras out of the woods today because of some idiot vigilante who stole one of my memory cards. I swapped out the really awful Coleman for my best Browning to monitor the outside. I have an even better Reconyx camera that might eventually get the call for that duty. The Gardepro close focus camera remains inside, but I might put that back on birdbath duty at the house and put one of the Brownings in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.