...deer resistant is not deer proof. In the past 24 hours, they cut down the Vermillionaire in the grow bag by about two-thirds, and also took the top off a salvia. Both plants are supposedly deer resistant. they also sampled the altssum in the barrel. At this point I just hope they leave the Agastache Butterfly Bush alone because that is the only one (besides maybe the sage) in the two grow bags that is hardy enough to be a long-term plant. I'm planning on getting Russian Sage tomorrow, which is mildly poisonous, so we will see how they react to that. That probably will be planted in our yard, not at the greenhouse.
There were two deer there when I was at the greenhouse today. They have very little fear. I would make a threatening move toward them and they would retreat about five feet and stare at me. No repurcussions for their destructive behavior, sort of like certain politicians in certain large states.
The monarda (bee balm) is the other "deer resistant" plant I bought recently. So far the deer have left it alone. I got it because I was getting impatient with the two I raised from seed, but they are finally starting to look like the one bought in a pot. This is after killing about 100,000 aphids on them.
I brought two of the strawberry bags back to the house and enclosed them in 5-foot high cages pinned to the ground. It will be inconvenient getting the strawberries since I will have to remove the cages each time, but otherwise they would ravaged. I haven't counted how many strawberry plants have survived to this point, but there are quite a few which did not. Next I see whether I can get any runners propagated this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.