Friday, June 26, 2026

This might actually work

I planted 26 Albion strawberry bare roots along with one Montana plant. Half of the Albions died, for which I blame everyone and everything but myself. But now there are new plants coming online. There are seven Albion runners at various stages of making new plants.

Two of them are in the east planting bed in the greenhouse, which is good since there are many holes to fill there. One is in a grow bag at the house, and I will be able to direct it to root in the other grow bag, which has only one strawberry plant. I will probably have to sacrifice a good-sized borage that I started in that bag when the second plant died, but what are we raising here, strawberries or borage? The interweb says borage is difficult to move because it has a taproot, so it's probably doomed.

The other four runners are in the most inconvenient location, the two smaller hanging baskets in the greenhouse. I have a four-inch pot perched in one of the baskets to catch the first runner that appeared, and it has some good-looking leaves and the beginnings of roots (visible at the bottom). I actually had to cut another runner off of this one because it had nowhere to go, which is that stub on the right.

The other three runners from the two baskets are being directed into a new basket between them in which I have placed three 4-inch pots. (Red, of course.) My 6-inch landscape staples are too long for the pots so I used bent paper clips. I do have some 4-inch staples on order but they won't be here for 10 days.

So far the harvest is two berries with two more mostly red and several days away. We are not being inundated yet, to say the least. If I clipped off the runners perhaps the berries would come faster. But I would like to get about 13 Albion plants to replace those that were lost. And I would like the Montana plant to send out a couple of runners so I can get more copies of that, but no such luck yet.

Along the lines of "What are we raising here?" the nasturtiums inside the greenhouse are taking over. I trim them every day, and I took out two plants that were shadowing others. I found a lot of alyssum under there after I did that. Here is a nasturtium flower, of which there are many:

I planted nasturtiums in two of the outside window boxes, and two of them have come up in each box. They are not huge yet. I also have alyssum in those boxes, so I'll probably have to do more pruning starting in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.