Hard herbs have been my latest emphasis as the plant activity has shifted from the garage to the greenhouse to outside. A hard herb generally grows on a woody stem and requires cooking to bring out its flavor. They are similar to succulants in that the soil generally doesn't have to have a lot of organic matter in it, but it does have to drain well. Hard does not necessarily mean hardy. Rosemary, at best, is Zone 6 and would not survive outside here in Zone 5. However, Thyme is rated to Zone 4.
I was surprised to find out the oregano plant I've had for a few years actually is Greek Oregano, so of course I had to get an Italian Oregano (right) at Nana's Thursday. Marjoram is related to the oreganos, and one of the Marjoram seedlings (left) has grown large enough to be potted up. It looks like I'm going to have to prop the Marjoram against that stick for a while to get it to grow straight:
I sprouted the Rosemary on the left from seed last winter. This is the best of six pots of various sizes, and we don't use that much Rosemary. The Sage on the right is another Nana's purchase, about two months ago. I bought that plant because I wasn't sure my two existing Sage plants were going to recover from last winter, which they spent in a bed in the greenhouse covered with straw mulch. One did not survive, and the other looked to be infested with something and took a very long time to bounce back. It is fine now, living in the greenhouse outside barrel.
This is the list of my various herbs, starting with hard:
- Greek Oregano
- Italian Oregano
- Marjoram
- Rosemary
- English Thyme
- Bergamot/Monarda/Bee Balm
- Sage
Soft herbs:
- Basil
- Borage
- Chives
- Cilantro
- Dill
- Parsley (trying to sprout)
- Peppermint
I had my small camera and it was cloudy, but I wanted to get at least one hummingbird image today. I had the 70-200mm Galapagos lens on a converter attached to the little camera (Canon M100), so was able to get this. Soon when the weather is better I will take a better camera, lens and tripod, and try to get this fellow on the salvia or butterfly mint. This is a male calliope and I believe is the one I see 95% of the time. There was one flying around inside the greenhouse today for a minute, and after a few moments of confusion he escaped back through the open door.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.