Tuesday, June 9, 2026

Rock Painting

Sometimes I want to put little rocks around the base of my plants. To date I have used gravel for Sempervivums and rounded river rock collected from the landscaping around our house for everything else. I thought it would be cool to tumble the river rock and make it smooth and shiny, but then I watched a YouTube video last night and that immediately soured me on the idea. This woman showed the entire process, which takes four weeks, each week using a progressively-finer grit. At each stage, she did a thorough cleaning of the rocks and the machine to make sure no large grit snuck through to the next step. I was exhausted just watching it.

An alternative is to paint the rocks with a clear coat. It may not be quite as good as polishing, but here in the real world it is good enough for my intended use. I had some Rustoleum satin enamel I previously used to attempt to seal 3D prints made with PLA filament, so I tried a few. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.