Thursday, June 25, 2026

Potato

This is my first time growing potatoes. I stuck three Yukon Gold pieces in a 15-gallon grow bag inside the greenhouse April 4. According to the interweb, they should be done in 90 days, which would be eight days from now. The plants are green and vigorous but haven't flowered yet. Flowering is not necessary to produce potatoes, but this lack makes me wonder if the timeline is off. I really want the plants to die so I can harvest the potatoes and get that big grow bag out of the middle of the greenhouse.

Also in that part of the greenhouse:

  • The big container of Teddy Bear Sunflowers. I planted three seeds to make sure something grew, and all three came up. I'm not going to thin them. Compared to the other two locations I have sunflowers, these are the most vigorous.
  • The 10-gallon grow bag with dill, in which I recently planted a cucumber in a Jiffy pot. Same story with the cucumber, I planted three seeds and all three came up. The other two went into hanging baskets, as planned, leaving one extra.
  • Two pots of mums, one of which is doing better than the other. I pruned the bigger one June 10 because it was becoming very large. The image was taken before the pruning:

    I hope the fall flowers are worth it. I sort of don't care about the mums and I'm not going to make any extra effort to overwinter them again. Last winter I buried the big pots in the greenhouse beds, but the coming winter they will just be sitting on the ground. If they die, they die. If they don't die, I will have to think about dividing them next spring...but I really don't want more mum pots.
  • I installed two SANSI grow lights and started off by putting Echeveria 'Lola' and Aeonium 'Florens' in big ceramic pots under them. The Aeonium is supposed to go into summer dormancy, so I put it off to the side and now have a new pot with six Supertunia cuttings under that grow light.
  • Also in the area is a 15-gallon grow bag with cold-hardy succulents. This is a test run for converting the southwest planting bed to succulents, which will require a large change to the soil. I'll have to remove more than half of it and heavily amend it with pumice and coco coir. I think all of the greenhouse beds need to be loosened up to drain better and could use some amendment. Not to the same extent as for succulents, but something. This would be difficult to do in the strawberry bed unless I dig up everything and replant it, but the others will be empty this winter.

I left this part of the greenhouse open so I could put big containers there. I would do potatoes again, but maybe outside. It became massive quickly. I've considered moving the big bag to the house behind the shed before harvest. I ordered a nice new hand cart to replace the flimsy one I've had for many years, but I don't know if I will be able to lift the bag in and out of the truck. If I attempt it, I need to stop watering for a few days ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't post spam. Comments are moderated.